Friday, February 5, 2010

30 Quilts for 30 Years



Anna and I have been working on a project for our upcoming birthday that we'd like to share with you. We're really excited about this. The following is Anna's most recent post on her blog (link here):


It’s time to announce a major project Jenni and I are undertaking this year. In November, we both turn thirty, and that can be a somewhat daunting prospect. The big 3-0. To take the edge off it, we talked about doing something BIG to celebrate. Not marathon big. Not cruise big. Definitely not skydiving big.

SERVICE BIG.

We are going to donate 30 crib-size quilts to the LDS Humanitarian Center this year–one for each year from 1980 to now. There’s only one problem: I’m a horrible quilter, and Jenni’s just a tad tight on time. WE NEED HELP. So, here’s our proposal: we organize, fund, (and sew), and you help us out.

Here’s what we’ll do:

* Anna’s going to do her taxes. Jay’s been kind enough to let me use a chunk of our refund to bankroll this project.
* We’re going to buy a bunch of supplies (batting, fabric, etc.) and make quilt packets for others to put together.
* We’ll make as many quilts as we can on our own.
* We’ll take cute pictures and keep updating this project as it progresses.

Here’s a lot of little ways you can help (yes, you):

* Volunteer to make a quilt (or two or three). You can pick up supplies from me or Jenni in a few weeks. Or, I’ll give you $15 to get fabric if you want to choose your own. Or you can pay for it yourself, if you want. (As I’m sure most of you know, Humanitarian Services is very specific in their instructions, which can be found here. They always say quality over quantity.)
* If you like tying but hate binding (or visa versa), just do what you want! We’d be happy to bind tied blankets. (And we’re as happy as the next person to have someone do the finish work.)
* If you have old fabric you want to get rid of, please send it our way!
* You can let me know of any good sales, or lend me your JoAnn’s coupon. (I’m going to try to find bulk batting at a good price online.)
* To show you we’re serious, we’ve even made banners and buttons for your blogs. Or, link this post to your Facebook, if you’d like. If you know someone who wants to help, even if we don’t know them, let them know! We’re not picky.

We’re committed to doing whatever it takes to get 30 quilts delivered by the big day: November 4th. That being said, we’ll be very excited if we can exceed that. More importantly, I’m sure there are some babies who will enjoy something warm to curl up in on a chilly night.

Leave a comment or email Anna or Jenni, and we’ll get started!

Copy and paste the following text to post this button:







Or use this text for the banner:





6 comments:

andrew said...

WOW guys! What a cool idea! I would have to be pretty hard-hearted not to volunteer for THIS project, seeing as how I have enough supplies to make approximately 300 quilts in my basement...give me a while to ponder what I will do specifically but for the sake of saving shipping hassles why not just count me in for 2 quilts for now and I will just let you know when they are done and happily on their way to humanitarian services.

andrew said...

ummm, that's not andrew volunteering btw, it's his counterpart. if you ever need wood carvings though, he's your man.

Carolyn Hanson said...

After venting my quilting frustrations to you tonight you may think I'd be out. But, I think it's such a cool thing you guys are doing that the least I can do is add your button to my blog. :)
And who knows, I may even bust out a quilt---glad your deadline is November 4th. That gives me time to have a baby and then recuperate.

Dennis and Amber Ogilvie said...

I just read your post on your Kirtland trip. That sounds like an awesome experience! I was wondering if you could take some pictures of your baby rattle and email them to me. I'm sorry I forgot to take one before you guys left town. Also, we love the decor in Charles' room.
Thanks!

Sarah said...

Happy big birthday year! I would love to help and I happen to be going up to Logan on the 19-20. Is Anna still in Logan? If she is, they maybe I could get some supplies from her, I haven't done any quiliting in a long time, but I like it!

Dennis and Amber Ogilvie said...

So I don't usually do quilts but what a great project I will try to whip up at least one if not more for you!