Monday, April 21, 2008

Is this getting out of control?

It's becoming untamable.  unmanageable.  It's takes a lot of tears to comb through it in the morning (if we are that ambitious) and gets undone with one wind gust, game of tag, or TV viewing on the couch.  Basically, if you just look at it, it contorts itself into a knotty mass of curly misery.  Needless to say we have a hairy little problem.  (Did you notice my restraint in waiting to use that pun until the middle of the paragraph?)  The problem is that every time I mention going to get a haircut, Hailey yells bloody murder and treats it as if it were like unto child abuse.  I am working out a few plans on how to finally get her to cut her hair, but precious few of them are absent of blindfolds and/or sedatives. . .

4 comments:

HobbyGirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HobbyGirl said...

Hi Jenni, I read your blog ever since grandpa's funeral. Combing curly hair can become bearable if she doesn't want to cut it - at least we got Rachel through it. We mixed leave-in conditioner (infusium 23) and water in a small spray bottle, and sprayed down the hair each morning until it was soaking wet. Then we started on the bottom inch of hair and combed (detangler comb) it until no tangles, then the second inch, then the third. A little tedious but it didn't hurt her little scalp so much and it was done in 10 minutes! And Rachel was a patient little girl. I love Hailey's hair. Keep it if you can. Love, Your Couz, Sarah

Meija said...

Alas, my childhood reincarnate. My mother had no idea whatsoever how to deal with curly hair, subsiquently neither do I...still to this day. She used to put my hair in pigtails and twist it around her finger to acheive ringlets which made me look like an ethnic Shirley Temple. Hailey's hair is beautiful, and word to the wise; short curly hair may equal mini afro... hair that is even curlier because it no longer has the weight to tame the curls. I agree with creative blogger, that leave in conditioner may be the way to go. Good luck.

Sarah said...

Hi Jenni, It's fun to read your blog. I also look at your photography blog and think you do beautiful work!
About the hair, I don't know if it will work but maybe try pointing our different hairstyles to her in movies or books or magazines. If she picks the cut it may not be so scary. Esp if its the cut of some charachter (think Dora) or something that she likes (princess maybe?). I only have boys so i'm no expert, i just know that kids like to choose :).
Your old roomie, Sarah