Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Something Hailey will wear





Hailey is hard to dress, especially on Sunday. She likes to be "decorated." This last winter, I bought her a pretty black sweater dress, and when I showed it to her she made a face (one that would involve raising one eyebrow if she could do that) and asked, "Well, can we decorate it?" I bought some cute leggings with pink and red hearts on them and a matching headband I totally thought I had made some pretty excellent "decorating " choices. I once again came home and showed Hailey what I had got. Her response was, "no. I mean decorate the dress! I want bows and flowers and kitties all over it and ribbons on the arms and a big giraffe on the back." Needless to say I took the dress back. I did keep the leggings and headband because those were deemed suitable by her for every-day attire.

A few months later, I decided maybe I could sew her a dress that wouldn't be a battle for her to decide to wear to church. I think it would have worked, except while I was working on drawings for the pattern, Hailey came and sat right next to me and looked at my drawings a few versions back, and asked if we could decorate the dress just for fun. She asked me to draw kitties all over the dress. And I did. Just when I was about to cut out the fabric for the dress, Hailey took a look at the fabric I had chosen and asked (very loudly) "Where are the KITTIES?" and began to cry. Really, that's not why I didn't finish the dress; I ran out of steam and time. (p.s. If anyone finds and cute fabric with kitties on it, I would like to buy 1.5 yards of it. I've looked and I'm pretty sure it's not out there.) But that episode really took the wind out of my sewing sails. . .

Until I found this pattern. A tiered skirt that can be decorated and trimmed to Hailey's heart's every desire and whim. She got to help choose the fabric and all the decorations (although we had a battle over the ball fringe. She choose fringe that had puffs the size of golf balls and I vetoed that.) And domestic beauty and happiness reign once again in the Gilbreth household.

almost. John is really not thrilled with this skirt for one reason. The boys. For some reason, all the boys at church are mesmerized by the ball fringe on Hailey's skirt. There is some magnetic draw for them to come and touch them and play with them. And John's not down with any boy touching any daughters' skirt for any reason whatsoever.

Well, the girls are happy at least.


4 comments:

Mindy said...

You did a great job for having such stiff demands. You could always buy pink faux fur for the "kitty", hmmm...I'm laughing.

Meija said...

Impressive, for you and her!

onnuh said...

And again, NOTHING like this has ever happened here. I am excited when the kids are cognizant that they are actually wearing clothes! I could put Spencer in that skirt and he probably wouldn't care.

Sherri said...

what a funny picture that would be...A skirt like that with big fuzzy Pink golf balls.
The boys would be mesmerized for sure!