Saturday, January 24, 2009

2nd Annual Swimming in the Dining Room Party

Last week it was so cold that if you went outside, your eyeballs froze, fell out of their sockets, fell onto the sidewalk and shattered.

It was so cold the spit in your mouth froze.

It was so cold I considered the benefits of growing a beard.

It was so cold they canceled school in Milwaukee.

I told the girls that if they canceled school for two days in a row, I would break out the wading pool and they could swim for an afternoon, because there's nothing like being cooped up in a small space with little kids against your will.

There are requirements for holding a swimming party in your apartment:
  • You must own 1 wading pool, 1 bucket, and 15 old towels.
  • It is nice if your apartment runs on the warm side, like 78 degrees.
  • You must have already lost your deposit.
  • You must have lost about 60% of your sanity.
and there you go.

Photobucket
The girls testing out the water and complaining that it's too warm!

Photobucket
Waiting for the water to cool down. . .

Photobucket
oooohs and aaaahhhhhs

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hailey needed music on, so it turned into a swimmingslashdance party. She's grooving to the "Be Good Tanyas," I think.
Photobucket
Jamming.

Photobucket
They stayed in there for three hours.

Photobucket

Photobucket
And Hailey quietly taught Nora about the body for the rest of the afternoon.

The only hiccup was that after they were finished, I couldn't remember how I had drained the pool last time. It took me a while to figure out that it is the same way I filled it- bucket by bucket.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to be careful about letting my kids see this post, or I'm sure we'll be having an indoor pool party, too. I looks like it was fun.

The Copes said...

These girls are very lucky to have their lives so beautifully documented.
p.s. Thank you so much for sweet card. It made our week, and the stickers almost made the whole house burning down thing worth it. Ollie had to sleep with them that night. So hats off to Hailey.
We miss you guys and hope you're doing well.

Laurie said...

That is so great - and so crazy!