Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Is this Science or Art? (Part I)

Hailey's begs for amazement. Something really exciting to do. Usually it's a tall order to find something that really wows her, especially if it doesn't take all day to set up and clean up from. But this is a good project that takes very little time, very little clean up, and made Hailey mildly impressed at her mom and all the cool things she knows. It was mild, though.

You need:
  • a paper plate
  • milk (they say the fattier the better, but we just used skim, and it worked out just fine.)
  • food coloring
  • dish soap
  • Q-tips are helpful


1. pour just enough milk on the paper plate to cover the bottom.



2. put a few drops of food coloring in the milk.



3. Dip a Q-tip in the dish soap, and then touch it to the surface of the milk for 5-10 seconds.



4. watch the colors explode! The colors will shift around and move for about 5 minutes without ever mixing together like they do in water. Hailey thought it looked like a very small fireworks show.



Why does this happen? The dish soap breaks down the fatty proteins of the milk that causes the movement, and it continues to move until the soap runs out of proteins to come in contact with it. I'm no chemist, so if that's not correct, go find yourself someone who's smart to explain it. It doesn't really matter in our house, because Hailey didn't really care about the "why" anyway.

9 comments:

Emily said...

I haven't tried this, but I do remember putting drops of dish soap in a shallow pan of water with ground pepper floating on the top. That was fun.

onnuh said...

So, I don't think Spencer would be very interested in this, but I have to admit that I kind of want to try it just for myself.

Amy and the boys said...

I've got to let Brandon try this! And, I love the muffin tin monday thing. we have dipping day where we have a bunch of different dips. The boys actually eat hummus of all things...

RaQuelle Willey said...

you are such a fun mom, your girls are lucky to have you!

Aaron and Kristel said...

I'm going to have to remember this idea when Kieley gets older. Hailey is such an amazing little girl. It was fun seeing both of them yesterday. :)

Melinda said...

Blog-surging, I found you through Nikki's pictures. I love this idea, though it may be a while before Evie asks for amazement and is ready for this. Way cool!

Carolyn Hanson said...

Cool idea. We'll have to try that soon.

Pam Emmons said...

So very cool! Noah ahs the week off school next week, so I think we will try this!

BTW, I Tagged you, so check out my blog!

Melina said...

Ben and Elise tried this -- over and over. I had to stop them before we ran out of milk. They thought it was great.