Monday, September 29, 2008

Muffin Tin Monday



This is a fun idea I thought I'd share. I found in online somewhere, and as much as I'd like to give credit to the exact place, I can't find it anymore. On Mondays we have our lunch in muffin tins. Here's how it works:

1. The girls clean up the living room floor, choose a blanket, and spread it out.
2. I cut up various edibles and put them in the compartments of a muffin tin.
3. We have a picnic on the floor to celebrate the beginning of the week.

The girls have really had fun with this, but there are practical benefits too:

1. I can get rid a lot of food leftovers- the end of the box of crackers, the last of the carrots, things that I don't have a full serving of but don't want to throw away.
2. It shakes up our lunch routine of pb&j, mac & cheese, and noodles.
3. The girls seem to eat faster, which is good, because Hailey has to make it to the bus right after lunch.
4. If it's in a muffin tin, they will try it. I have introduced several new raw vegetables this way.

I have only cut up whatever we had available in the five minutes I take for prep time, but you could really go far with this with themes and such. Themes that I have thought of, but not yet carried out: circles or squares, colors, themes that match up with books, sweet vs. sour. International foods, etc. etc.

So if any of you adopt this, let me know how it goes.







And also, if you have any ideas for lunches Tuesday-Sunday, I'm still looking.

8 comments:

Emily said...

What a fun idea!

Emily said...

This idea reminded me of an idea for pancake cups that I found on a blog recently: http://sycamorestirrings.blogspot.com/2008/06/blog-post.html. Actually, this blog also has the Muffin Tin Monday idea. Is that where you found it?

Mindy said...

This might sound silly but I saw on a friend's blog the other day that she made a face on a plate for lunch. It consisted of cheese for hair, a carrot nose, raisin smile or something. Either way, her kid gobbled it up. Good luck, my kids basically eat anything so we haven't really had this problem.

Mandie said...

Great idea, I am definitely going to have to try this one. We struggle in the eating department at our home.

abby o said...

My friend just posted a new family tradition: "white trash tuesday." This consists of bringing your own 2-liter bottle of soda to Little Caesar's where you get a hot n ready $5 pizza which you eat in the parking lot or in the car on the way to the ice cream parlor. sounds like the perfect follow up to muffin tin monday to me.

Carolyn Hanson said...

Great idea! I bet Carter would get a kick out of this. I'll have to try it. It may be a solution to somewhat sitting through conference this weekend...:)

The Copes said...

Why is it that your lunch even looks like art.---I should've photographed the monochromatic plate o' mac n' cheese/ nectarines/and carrots. I have a feeling it just wouldn’t come out looking so lovely.

RaQuelle Willey said...

Love it, your such a cute mom! I will have to give that one a try, sounds fun